Mysore Masala Dosa is perhaps one of the top dish ordered in any vegetarian restaurants more popular in South India and equally relished in the Northern states.
The name itself has one drooling as it is such a fascinating dish combining spicy red chutney and filled to bursting with a lovely concoction of gently cooked potatoes with onions and other condiments .The aroma of the chutney with the masala nestling inside leaves one totally satiated.One Mysore Masala Dosa is enough to fill and can be had even for breakfast or a late lunch. I wouldn’t mind having one for dinner either. The best part of this dish is that you do not need any other side dish to accompany as the chutney and the masala inside are very satisfying.
For the dosa batter
- 1.5 cups dosa rice
- 1/4 cup parboiled rice
- 1/2 cup udad dal
- 1/4 cup chana dal
- 1 tbsp of methi/fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 cup of poha
- salt for batter
- Soak the dals and all ingredients after washing well in a large bowl , add enough water to soak well for 5
- soak the methi seeds and poha
- Grind to a batter , either in a blender or in a wet stone grinder , adding very little water . when the batter is ground to a smooth thick consistency , use the water in which the dals were soaked. Cover and leave to ferment overnight preferably in a warm counter if living in cold regions, keep in an oven with lights on or even on top of a refrigerator which emits warmth .
- Next morning the batter would have fermented well.Add salt and mix well and add little water if need be. The batter should be of dropping consistency.
- ( Add 1 tbsp fine sooji (optional just before making dosa ), some people add sugar also just before making dosa, i dont add it .)
Ingredients for thePotato masala:
- 4 medium sized potatoes cooked well,2 medium onions chopped finely.
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp split udad seeds
- pinch of turmeric powder
- pinch of asafoetida powder.
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 green chillies,deseeded and slit or finely chopped
- 1 tsp of finely grated ginger
- sprigs of curry leaves.
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp turmeric powder,
- 2 tbsp oil
- some coriander leaves to garnish the potato masala
(cashewnuts are added in some hotels to the masala, its your choice , i have kept it simple )
Ingredients for the red chutney:
- 4 to 5 medium sized red Kashmiri chillies,dry or fresh ones, soaked in warm water to soften, for more spicy version , use a mix of Guntur and kashmiri chillies/
- 3 tbsp fried gram dal or roasted chana dal
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 -2 cloves of garlic which is optiona and some sliced onions .( two small ones )
- salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp limejuice.
- 1 tbsp oil
To make red chutney
heat a kadai, add 1 tbsp oil, sautee they onions, red chilies, and add cumin , grind in a small mixie jar with lime juice and salt to a thick paste .( the fried gram need not be roasted with red chillies.)
Tip to get a deep red colour without adding more red chillies as it will make a very fiery chutney, use one tomato while roasting the dals and chillies, or use kashmiri chili powder while grinding , it gives a deep red colour without adding too much spice.
adding lime juice is a must as it gives that unique hotel dosa chutney taste !.
To make potato masala
In a kadai/pan put oil and splutter the mustard seeds and split udad dal, cumin ,
with green chillies and ginger, curry leaves,
When the mustard pops and the dal turns golden add the chopped onions and stir briskly.
Saute the onions till they turn pink and translucent.
Meanwhile add the turmeric powder to the cooked ,mashed potatoes.
Add the mashed potatoes to the sauteed onions and add salt.Add chopped coriander leaves and stir well.
Keep the potato masala aside till needed.
When the dosa is getting browned and cooked all over, quickly spread the red chutney first, pile the potato filling on one half of the dosa., fold gently.Remove and serve with a blob of butter on top. This dosa is not flipped over as it gets cooked both sides.