Traditionally this was prepared during fasting period and used such healthy ingredients.
Even today it continues be a favourite among those fasting and almost all states prepare this in some form or other.
I have shared pics of both prepared for fast and for other days .
I have shared a Youtube video which shows how to prepare a fluffy sabudana khichdi for vrat , upwas for ekadashi, navrathri days .
- 2 cups of sabudana ( Tapioca pearls)
- 3 tsp of roasted peanuts
- 1 tsp mustard , skip for vrat days , use only cumin ,
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 2 small green chillies slit and deseeded
- 1/4 cup of small cubes of cooked potato pieces
- 2 tbsp of oil and salt to taste. Keep some roasted peanuts,1 green chili and a tsp of cumin seeds to be ground coarsely in a mixie.
Garnish with sprigs of curry leaves.
Sago looks like many other starches, and both sago and tapioca are produced commercially in the form of “pearls”. These two kinds of pearls are similar in appearance and may be used interchangeably in some dishes.
The Tapioca Pearls are known as “ Sabudana” in Marathi. It is commonly used as a food during fasting ( popularly called khichadi) among Hindus in Western and Central Part of India ( Gujarat and Maharashtra region)