2 cups of finely diced veggies like potatoes. , cauliflower florets,carrots, green beans, Some green peas.
1/ cup of knol khol peeled and cubed to small pieces,
3tbsp chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
To make to a purée
3 medium tomatoes , 1 green chilli.,small piece of ginger. , pinch of turmeric powder.
To soak and grind
1/4 cup cashew halves soaked in hot water
Almonds can also be used to substitute .
1/4 cup fresh/desiccated coconut
2tsp poppy seeds/ Khus khus
To roast and grind to powder
2 tsp coriander seeds
2 cardamom or a tsp of cardamom powder.
1 tsp fennel seeds/ saunf
1 red chilly
2 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp asafoetida powder ( skip if using onions and garlic in recipe )
2 tbsp oil
2 tbsp fresh yogurt
Salt to taste.
1. Cook all veggies in an open pan or pressure cook with a pinch of turmeric powder, to 1 whistle . Take care not to over cook.
3. Grind the soaked Cashewnuts / almonds with coconut and 2 tsp poppy seeds. Grind to smooth paste.Keep aside.
4. Take a big pan , heat well, add oil, add the tomato purée , add the turmeric powder, chilly powder , pinch of asafoetida powder, coriander powder.
garnish with cilantro leaves . Serve with rotis, Phulkas, Naan breads or even pooris.
1..If you wish to add onions , then after adding oil in pan sautée well , till onions are transparent then add the tomato purée .
2. For those who want to add garlic, you can do so at the time of making tomato purée . Add few garlic pods with tomatoes , green chillies , ginger and tur meric powder or best would be to add ginger garlic paste while sautéing onions .
3. Instead of adding fresh coconut or desiccated coconut while grinding cashew , you can add thick coconut milk in the end around 2 tbsp or 3 . This makes it creamy too just like hotel style.