Before it is ready …freshly marinated in spices and stored in a ceramic jar
Come summer and it is time to prepare the yearly quota of baby mango pickles , called Vadu manga
I do not prepare for the year but just enough to last a few months as there are quite a few other pickle varieties that are consumed so we can manage with just a kilo or half of the quantity
I usually prepare two or three batches rather than one single big batch to avoid spoilage and it has never failed me .
Iam also following a method given by Meenakshi ammal book which suggests a quick way of enjoying vadu manga and also promises to keep the quality of the pickled manga intact . So far it has worked .
- 50 nos .Small round baby mangoes with the stalks .
- 1/4 cup mustard seeds
- 15 red dry. Chillies (I Used Byadagi )
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp asafoetida powder ( optional )
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 cup rock salt
- 2 tsp castor oil
- 2 cups water for boiling rock salt .
- Remove the stalk from the mangoes keeping a little attached to the mango . Wash all mangoes and immerse in water for 1/2 hour .
- Drain water completely and wipe dry thoroughly .
- Apply the castor oil on the mangoes and also smear the inside of the vessel or porcelain jar in which you will keep the mangoes for preparing till you transfer to a jar or bottle .
- Take the cup of salt, add 2 cups of water , after dissolving salt , boil well till reduced to almost half by evaporation ,
- Remove the salty hot water and keep to cool .
- Meanwhile grind to a coarse powder or paste , the chillies, mustard seeds. , turmeric powder , fenugreek seeds, asafoetida powder. Don’t make a smooth paste . If possible use the mortar pestle to pound the red chillies for longer life .
- Now pour the salty water and the prepared coarse masala powder/ paste over the oiled vadu mangoes little by little ,by first adding salt solution, then some mangoes , then the powder , then repeat the same till all mangoes are added . Finally top with remaining powder/ paste .
- Cover and keep .
- Every now and then keep shaking the container to stir the mangoes in the brine water .
- Within 10 days the vadu mango will shrivel and leave lot of water .
- Your lip smacking vadu manga pickle is ready .
- I always keep in several small bottles in the fridge After keeping them out for three days .
- After preparing the mangoes keep stirring the container with both hands so that the mixture keeps coating mangoes .
- By this method the vadu manga is ready in few days as we use the hot water with diluted salt , it also keeps the mangoes from spoiling .
baby mangoes waiting to be ready ,
Waiting to be marinated fully , this is a freshly prepared baby mangoes in spicy brine .
it is ready within a week ..almost shriveled
Ultimate enjoyment with curd rice