This is a popular dish from Kerala and is almost always prepared as part of the Sadya. The varieties of making eriseri are many and combination with different vegetables.
The most popular erisseri made are the chena (yam) and green plantain (vazhakkai),the yelllow pumpkin/mathanga erisseri.
The recipe given below is for the yellow pumpkin/mathanga.
- 1/4 cup black eyed beans or red gram / vanpayar . pressure cooked till little soft not mushy. ( soak for 5 -6 hours prior to cooking .)
- 2-3 cups of cubed yellow pumpkin
- 1 1/2 cup fresh grated coconut, of which we will divide .
- 1 tsp jeera/cumin
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1tsp split udad dal
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- 1 tsp chilli powder,
- 3 dry red chillies for tempering .
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp coconut oil/cooking oil
- some curry leaves
Pressure cook the red gram / vanpayar , for 3 whistles till cooked well but not too mushy , as we will add it to pumpkins to cook along more .