Sri Rama Navami is a Hindu festival, celebrating the birth of Lord Rama. The Rama Navami festival falls in the Shukla Paksha on the Navami, the ninth day of the month of Chaitra in the Hindu calendar. Thus it is also known as Chaitra Masa Suklapaksha Navami, and marks the end of the nine-day Chaitra Navaratri celebrations.
Some important prasadams made on this day are Panagam,Neer mor,Vadai,Payasam and Kosambri which is a usual green gram dal salad mixed with raw grated cucumber,carrots. Kosambri is a salad prepared for almost all festivals in Maharashtra and Karnataka.
- 4 cups of water
- 2 cups of powdered jaggery
- 1 tsp of cardamom powder
- tulsi leaves
- dry ginger powder or grated ginger
- pinch of pepper
Neer Mor (spiced buttermilk)
- 4 cups of water or quantity you desire.
- 1 cup of thick fresh yogurt
- 2 green chillies finely chopped and deseeded
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida/hing powder.
- salt to taste
- sprigs of curry leaves crushed.
Kosambri:( Grated raw cucumber,grated raw mangoes mixed with green gram)
- 1 cup of split green gram( moong dal) cleaned and soaked in water for sometime.
- 2 green chillies deseeded.
- 1 small cucumber grated raw.
- 1 small raw mango grated .
- 3 tbsp of fresh coconut grated
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp oil for tempering.
- salt to taste and 1 tbsp of lime juice.