Garlic bread is so delicious and can be baked easily by anyone at home either in a regular oven, OTG or even baked a pressure cooker .
Once you have tried your hand in baking this simple bread, you will never go for buying one from fast food outlets .
1/4 cup warm milk
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp instant yeast
3 chopped garlic cloves for adding to dough
1 cup all purpose flour
salt as needed
1/2 tsp oregano powder for dough .
2 tbsp melted butter for making the spread
1 tbsp olive oil ( preferred )
1 tsp oregano powder
1 tsp chilli flakes or as required
pinch of pepper powder
chopped coriander leaves ( optional )
grated cheese, mozarella or cheddar or a mix of both about 150 grams
3 tbsp cornmeal to sprinkle on counter while kneading or plain flour .
- Prepare the Butter garlic and olive oil mixture to spread on the rolled out dough .
- In a bowl add some 4 tbsp melted butter and olive oil
- add some oregano powder, chili flakes, pepper powder
- add some chopped coriander leaves if you have , purely optional,
- give it a good mix, add a tiny pinch of salt too
- this is the spread we will use to spread on the rolled out dough .
- In a bowl add the warm milk, add sugar and yeast
allow yeast to activate and become frothy , may take about 5 to 10 minutes .meanwhile take another bowl .
- add the flour, salt , 3 chopped garlic cloves or garlic powder , 1/2 tsp oregano powder.
- add 1 tbsp olive oil or melted butter,mix well.
- add the yeast mixture which we set aside for frothing , make a soft dough by kneading well.
- knead for 3 to 4 minutes till dough is very soft and pliable.
- coat with oil and keep in a greased bowl, cover with clingwrap,
- allow the dough to proof or double in volume , may take about 2 hours .
- do not hurry up this process as the well risen dough will give you excellent result .
- after an hour or two when the dough appears to have doubled, punch it with your fingers and take it to a
- counter, sprinkle some flour or cornmeal on the counter.
- divide the dough into two small balls for making two small garlic breads or roll out one big circle .
- depending on size of your baking plate in which you will bake .
- roll out not too thin .
- Now spread the butter oil garlic mixture which we have prepared , all over the rolled out dough ,
- sprinkle generously grated cheese on one half of the rolled out dough ( semi circle )
- sprinkle more oregano and pepper powder if you wish , fold the top to seal the ends,
- pinch the ends with fingers or use water to seal well .
- after folding , brush the top with the oil butter mixture that we have prepared .
- make knife marks for slices , lightly on the folded bread before baking
- preheat oven to 180 C and bake for 20 minutes or till done when the top looks browned well and cheese starts melting