Who doesnt like food that can be cooked instantly or without much labour .
More so if you are a constant traveler missing out on delicious home made foods . Almost every family has few members who are travelling on work, business trips or kids living abroad , surviving on campus foods , craving for the good old home made foods . Many families also travel frequently on long vacations with elders and kids and such times we wish to have something that is homely . Going on long road trips with pit stops at motels is also common . Most motels or hotels come with rooms having microwave , which is all you need to fix a decent meal .
These ready to cook food mixes which i have been sharing in this blog is one such solution .It is not as laborious a process as one would think . Just before you leave or your family travels , you can prepare some small quantity of few dishes in a pre mix form . Here is a recipe to prepare a simple masala dal in a mix form . You can alter the recipe , by adding few dals of your choice, add or remove some of the spices i have added , as every family has its own preference . I will detail a list of suggestions at the end of the recipe, kindly take a look at it , may be helpful .
The YouTube video will give you a quick look at the process and how simple and versatile this instant dal mix is in your kitchen .
- to prepare this dal mix, you can choose dals of your choice .You can have single dal too , like moong dal .
- Basic ingredients to make the dal mix are very few like turmeric powder, chili powder , ginger powder ,
Amchur powder or kokum for the tangy taste . . The rest like garam masala, dehydrated veggies, are optional .
- It is better to keep the premix simple if you plan to use it for other dishes too, like making dosas, adai or making some snacks like bhajjis , pakodas .
- To prepare a simple dal dosa, you need to add some rice flour too separately .as shown in the video .
- You can add fried onions, garlic to the mix if you like the flavours . Fried onions are readily available , but can be made at home too , but be sure to keep it free of any moisture .
- Garlic can be fried or garlic powder can be added .
- For most sambar and rasam recipes , you can add this premix of dal. In which case it is better to keep your premix with simple ingredients and not add garam masala, onions, or garlic .
- there are endless ways to use this basic dal mix, it is your creativity .
- last but not the least , along with the premix you can also pack some bottled sundried tomatoes, or some tomato paste which will come handy to add to the dal , to substitute for the tomatoes which you may usually add in your dal . Students who are living abroad can find these in stores easily in small jars which can be stored in the fridge . A bottle of onion tomato paste which is not heavily flavored can also be bought , as it comes handy to use in this instant dal .